A strong school district is worth its weight in gold for both parents of school-aged children and homeowners. You see, homes in good districts are worth more and hold their value better than homes in poorly-performing districts.
If you hope to maximize your Edina real estate investment in the future, a home served by a solid school district certainly becomes a selling point.
Three school districts serve the city of Edina, although this may change in the future.
- Edina Public Schools
- Hopkins Public Schools
- Richfield Public Schools
There has been a battle of sorts, for years, from some Edina families who are trying to detach themselves from the Hopkins district.
Edina Public Schools
You simply can’t go wrong purchasing a home that is designated within the boundaries of Edina Public Schools, ISD 273. This is an award-winning district and there isn’t a poor-performing school in the bunch.
This “bunch” includes five elementary, two middle schools and the Gold Medal award-winning Edina High School.
Here’s a closer look at the schools within ISD 273:
- Countryside Elementary. This school, located at 5701 Benton Ave S. in Edina. It garners 9 stars out of a possible 10 at GreatSchools.org. Countryside serves 588 students in grades K through 5.
- Concord Elementary. A top-scoring school at GreatSchools.org, Concord Elementary serves 739 students in grades K through 5. The state average math score on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams is 69 percent. Concord students scored 92 percent. The school is located at 5900 Concord Ave South.
- Cornelia Elementary. Another 9-star awardee at GreatSchools.org, parents love the school for its diversity and its caring teachers. Cornelia Elementary serves 587 students in grades K through 5. You’ll find the school on Cornelia Drive in Edina.
- Creek Valley Elementary. The recipient of 9 stars at GreatSchools.org, Creek Valley Elementary serves 609 students in grades K through 5. It is located at 6401 Gleason Road in Edina.
- Normandale Elementary. This school serves 612 students in grades K through 5 and receives 9 stars at GreatSchools.org. Parents love this school because their involvement is invited and welcomed. You’ll find the school at 5701 Normandale Road.
- South View Middle School. GreatSchools.org awards South View Middle School its highest honor, 10 stars. The state average for reading on the 2012 Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams was 72 percent. South View Middle School eight graders scored 91 percent. The school is located at 4725 S. View Lane in Edina.
- Valley View Middle School. Parents and students alike rave about Valley View Middle School. A large school (it serves 1,291 students in grades 6 through 9), it still manages to provide an amazing education and win 10-stars at GreatSchools.org.
- Edina High School. The editors of U.S. News “Best High Schools” rankings think so highly of Edina High School that they named it the number one high school in Minnesota. Boasting a 99 percent graduation rate, 94 percent of Edina’s graduates go on to college.
Hopkins Public Schools
Hopkins Public Schools district, ISD 270, is an award-winning school district that serves 7,200 students in grades K through 12. Although not located in Edina, it serves portions of the city, along with portions of Minnetonka, Golden Valley, Eden Prairie, Plymouth and St. Louis Park.
The Hopkins Public Schools District oversees six elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school.
Hopkins Elementary Schools
- Alice Smith Elementary School. This K–6 school has an enrollment of 580 students. It garners four stars from GreatSchools.org, most likely for the students’ Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams scores. Grade 4 math scores and grades 3 and 4 math scores were below the state’s average. Alice Smith Elementary School is located close to downtown Hopkins at 801 Minnetonka Mills Road.
- Eisenhower Elementary School. Serving 800 students in grades K through 6, Eisenhower Elementary rates five stars at GreatSchools.org. Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exam scores were lower than the state’s average in 3rd, 4th and 6th grade math and in reading for grades 3, 4, 5 and 6. Eisenhower Elementary is located at 1001 Minnesota 7 in Hopkins.
- Gatewood Elementary School. Serving 531 students in grades K through 6, Gatewood receives five out of a possible 10 stars from GreatSchools.org. All grades, with the exception of grade 4, exceed the state’s average score in both reading and math on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams.
- Glen Lake Elementary School. Located in Minnetonka, Glen Lake Elementary receives GreatSchool.org’s highest honor, a 10-star rating. The school offers a STEM-focused curriculum (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). It is located at 4801 Woodridge Road in Minnetonka.
- L. H. Tanglen Elementary School. Serving about 600 children in grades K through 6, L.H. Tanglen is the recipient of the Bronze Award in the Healthier US School Challenge (2013). It rates six stars at GreatSchools.org and parents say they appreciate the school’s caring teachers that spend extra time with, and go the extra mile for their students. The school is located in Minnetonka at 10901 Hillside Lane.
- Meadowbrook Elementary School. Serving 620 students in grades K through 6, Meadowbrook rates nine stars at GreatSchools.org. Parents love the school because their involvement is welcome and because of the teacher’s innovative teaching methods. You’ll find Meadowbrook Elementary in Golden Valley at 5430 Glenwood Ave.
Hopkins Secondary Schools
- Hopkins North Junior High. Serving 900 students in grades 7 through 9, Hopkins North receives six stars from GreatSchools.org. It is located in Minnetonka at 10700 Cedar Lake Road.
- Hopkins West Junior High. Serving about 900 students in grades 7 through 9, Hopkins West is Minnesota's first national middle level school of excellence. It was also recognized by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) as one of "100 Highly Effective" middle-level schools in the country. GreatSchools.org gives Hopkins West eight stars. It is located at 3830 Baker Road in Minnetonka.
- Hopkins High School. Minnesota's first National School of Excellence, it receives eight stars at GreatSchools.org. Hopkins High School is located in Minnetonka at 2400 Lindbergh Drive.
Richfield Public Schools
Richfield Public Schools, ISD 280, teaches 4,200 grade K through 12 students from Richfield and Edina. The district oversees four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school.
Richfield Elementary Schools
- Centennial Elementary School. Serving 404 students in grades K through 5, Centennial Elementary School scores three out of a possible 10 stars at GreatSchools.org. Third, fourth and fifth grades students scored well below the state average in reading on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams. Fifth grade students scored 14 percent in science while the state average is 46 percent. Centennial Elementary is located at 7315 Bloomington Avenue South in Richfield.
- Sheridan Elementary School. Serving 511 students in grades K through 5, Sheridan Elementary garners four out of 10 stars at GreatSchools.org. Parents love the school for the caring and supportive teachers.
- Richfield STEM Elementary. This school focuses on STEM fundamentals, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. It garners three out of 10 stars at GreatSchools.org.
Middle school students in the district attend Richfield Middle School for grades 6 through 8. This school receives two out of a possible 10 stars at GreatSchools.org. All grades scored below the state average in reading and math on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments Series II exams.
Richfield High School serves 1,400 students in grades 9 through 12. GreatSchools.org awards Richfield High four stars out of a possible 10. Grades 9, 10 and 11 students scored below average in reading and writing on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II Graduation-Required Assessments. Eleventh grade students scored below average in math.